fbpx
Get our weekly Newsletter Advertise with Alameda PostAdvertising Memberships and DonationsSupport Us

Tag: architecture

Advertisement
Alameda Post - NewsMatch

Today's Alameda Treasure - 2242 San Antonio Ave. - Part 2

Another tragic death, a new family moves in, and some previously unpublished history. In Part 1 of the story of the Fargo House, we learned…

Today’s Alameda Treasure – 2242 San Antonio Ave. - Part 1

Over 130 years, the Fargo house has seen its fair share of life and death. San Antonio Avenue is one of my favorite streets in…

Prefab Houses - East End Architecture

See early prefab houses and other historic East End architecture on this Saturday’s walking tour. Many people automatically associate prefabricated houses—prefabs—with a Sears catalog. During…

East End Architectural Styles

Alameda began its existence on today’s East End, and the domestic architecture therein reflects its birth. East End architectural styles range from the earliest in…

East End Architecture

August’s history walking tours with Dennis Evanosky will cover Alameda’s East End Architecture from the 19th and 20th centuries. The beginning of the 20th century brought change…

Today’s Alameda Treasure – 1717 San Antonio Ave. – Part 1

The Lutjens house is on San Antonio Avenue, near the corner of Grand Street. This story begins the way many do, with a mistake, a…

1630 Ninth St. Part 2 – Today’s Alameda Treasure

The connection to Arth and Sons body shop in Oakland. In part 1 of the story of the Nylander house (built in 1878), we learned…

1630 Ninth St. Part 1 – Today’s Alameda Treasure

The Nylander house sits on the corner of Ninth Street and Pacific Avenue. On a quiet corner on the West End of Alameda sits a…

1833 & 1837 Clinton Ave. – Today’s Alameda Treasures

Today’s Alameda Treasures are a pair of Queen Anne beauties created in 1891 at 1833 and 1837 Clinton Ave. by renowned local builder Joseph A.…

A. W. Pattiani Miniature Eastlake Villa — Today’s Alameda Treasure

2253 San Antonio Ave. was built by A. W. Pattiani in 1883 Alfred Washington Pattiani (1855-1935) was among Alameda’s renowned early architect-builders. Despite the Italian-sounding…

Joseph A. Leonard Mansion – Today’s Alameda Treasure

Although there are many renowned builders who have left their indelible mark on the unique Victorian–era architecture of Alameda — among them Marcuse & Remmel,…

"Don't Call Them ‘Victorians’" West End Tour Photos

A group of about three dozen people (and a few nice doggos) met at Washington Park this past Saturday morning for the “Don’t Call Them…

Fred P. Fischer House — Today's Alameda Treasure

To paraphrase Yogi Berra, “you can see a lot just by looking.” That’s true everywhere, but perhaps especially in Alameda, where there are so many…

Photos from the Gold Coast

A beautiful day for a walk around the Gold Coast, admiring and learning about architecture Over fifty people met at Franklin Park this past Saturday…

Where is the Seventh Julia Morgan House?

When we published Dennis Evanosky’s article about Julia Morgan houses in Alameda earlier this week, we were certain we knew about all seven houses that…

Julia Morgan Designed Alameda Houses

Julia Morgan blazed a trail for women architects — the first to successfully challenge the male-dominated profession French eyebrows raised, tongues clicked and wagged. A…

Photos From Our April 9 Walking Tour

Exploring the East End of Alameda for Victorian-Era Architecture About three dozen people joined editor Dennis Evanosky this past Saturday, April 9, for a two-and-a-half…

Sterling Avenue: What's in a Name

In 1916 Dr. Chauncey Penwell Pond and his wife, Josephine Kibby Pond, filed a plat map with Alameda County. They had purchased the Hawley tract…

Alameda Beckons

Parks, beaches, and trails. Districts with shops that fill almost every need. Restaurants that make every palate happy. Cultural centers that help us flourish. Homes…
Advertisement
Alameda Post - nonprofits

Double Your Donation!

Visit our Membership page for more information.

Alameda Post Inc. applied to the IRS for 501 (c)(3) non-profit status earlier this year. Members will be notified when the IRS sends a positive determination letter, making their membership or donation tax-deductible. Monthly members will receive their benefits after three months of membership. Memberships including tickets to history walking tours will be offered in limited quantities.