Could your local retail, restaurant, theater, or service business use a little facelift? The City of Alameda’s Community Development Department may be able to help with a Façade Grant. Eligible businesses must apply by next Tuesday, March 28.
The City of Alameda’s Façade Grant Program provides business and property owners with matching grants up to $15,000 to improve their storefronts and enhance the city’s retail districts. The grants may be used for exterior painting, new awnings and signs, and refurbishment of architectural features.
Mike Stevens, owner of Island Savoy Market, at 1200 Lincoln Ave. in the Bay Street Station historic district, refurbished the exterior of the old Market Spot with matching funds from the Façade Grant Program. He updated the sign on the 1926 building, painted the exterior, replaced cracked windows, installed exterior lights, added new window signage, and retrofitted or replaced the doors to provide ADA access, among other improvements.
The City was a great help, Stevens said. “They were really excited that somebody was going to move into this spot and do the restoration. The Façade Grant committee was wonderful and the city design department was very helpful.”
To be eligible for matching funds from the Façade Grant Program, a business must be located in the following areas:
- Webster Street Business District.
- Downtown Alameda Business District.
- A Historic Station area, including: Grand, Mastick, Bay, South High St., Chestnut, Morton, Versailles, Willow, Fifth Street, Caroline, High Street North and Stanton.
- A Gateway into the City, including: Webster Tube, Park Street Bridge, Fruitvale Bridge, High Street Bridge and the Doolittle Drive entrance area. The business property must have a front or side façade that is visible from one of the above gateways.
- Naval Air Station Historic District.
Get more information about the program on the Façade Grant Program page of the City of Alameda website.
Watch a 30-minute webinar on YouTube for a detailed overview of the Façade Grant Program and application process.
For any questions about the program, eligibility, or how to apply, call City staff at 510-747-6898 or email [email protected] to schedule a meeting. But don’t delay! The deadline is less than a week away.