The Alameda Police Department (APD) issues monthly email updates to keep the community informed of police activity during the previous month. APD’s June 2023 “Month in Review” released on July 24 noted that there were 5,936 calls for service in June, down slightly from 5,962 in May. The report also noted that 79 arrests were made in June, just one more than 78 in May.
More than twice as many auto thefts were reported in June (111) than in May (51), but the good news is that there also was a significantly greater number of recovered stolen vehicles—101 in June as compared to 72 in May. And catalytic converter thefts dropped from 49 in May to 34 in June.
Meanwhile, 12 robberies were reported in June, up from eight in May. Ten assaults were reported in June, as compared to 11 in May.
|June, 2023||May, 2023||Difference||Difference %|
|Calls for Service||5,936||5,962||-26||-0.44%|
|Recovered Stolen Vehicles||101||72||29||40.28%|
|Catalytic Converter Thefts||34||49||-15||-30.61%|
The APD June statistics report listed five “significant incidents” that took place in June:
- Commercial Burglary: On June 4 at 6:39 a.m., officers responded to a report of an in-progress burglary in the 2300 block of Saratoga Street. During a walk-through of the premises, officers located an individual in possession of burglary tools. The individual was taken into custody and identified as the suspect in a similar burglary the previous week.
- Carjacking: On June 10 at 9:15 p.m., officers responded to a carjacking in the 1400 block of Grand Street. Two subjects ordered the victim out of their car and fled in the victim’s vehicle. With the help of GPS tracking services, the victim’s vehicle was located a few hours later. Evidence located in the victim’s vehicle is currently being processed. The investigation remains ongoing.
- Hit and Run Collision: On June 13 at 8:20 p.m., officers responded to a collision involving a vehicle and two minors in the South Shore Center. A driver traveling at a slow speed struck the juveniles and fled the scene. There were no reports of injuries, and the victim’s parents were notified. The case remains under investigation.
- Vehicle-Bicyclist Collision: On June 20 at 6:13 p.m., officers responded to the intersection of Park Street and San Antonio Avenue for the report of a collision involving a vehicle and a cyclist. Both parties are cooperating with the investigation and neither reported injuries.
- Armed Robbery: On June 26 at 11:35 a.m., officers responded to an armed robbery in the 3200 block of Briggs Avenue. Two subjects brandished a firearm and fled in an awaiting stolen car with the victim’s property. After the incident, an advisory was sent to all Bay Area law enforcement agencies. On June 27, after being arrested for a carjacking that occurred in another jurisdiction, three juveniles were identified as being involved in the Alameda robbery.
To receive monthly APD updates via email, you can sign up via the City of Alameda Subscribe web page.